The Marble Institute of America (MIA) announced the winners of the 2014 Pinnacle Awards competition during StonExpo/Marmomacc Americas 2015 in Las Vegas, NV, USA. The Pinnacle Awards recognize excellence in commercial, residential and renovation/restoration of natural stone projects worldwide. Projects selected as winners must demonstrate exceptional beauty, creativity, ingenuity, and craftsmanship in the use of granite, marble, travertine, limestone, and other natural stones.
The 2014 Grande Pinnacle Award winner is:
Stones and Roses International Company Ltd. of Samutprakarn, Thailand for the amazing Residential Interior/Exterior work on the Navathani Residence in Bangkok, Thailand.
Interpreting the traditional typology of the Thai houses, the Navathani Residence consists in 2 parallel wings, separated by a large garden and a swimming pool. The objective of the stone architecture is to give a sense of unity and blend the building with trees, plants and other natural landscape. The choice of Thai travertine was selected for the main stone for the interior space and the stone featured on the façade changed to minimalist grey basalt. The judges commented that the project excels with a large variety of stone finishes and combines well the travertine color with the sleek design. They also praised the project for its gorgeous, juxtaposition of materials and inventive use of stone. The architectural firm of Architects49 House Design Limited of Bangkok, Thailand, was the architect for this project.
The 2014 Pinnacle Award winners are:
• Commercial Interior Award of Excellence to Las Vegas Rock Inc., Jean, NV for the Antero Resources Corporation in Denver, CO.
• Commercial Exterior Award of Excellence to Las Vegas Rock Inc., Jean, NV for the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation Headquarters in Agoura Hills, CA.
• Commercial Exterior Award of Excellence to Kenneth Castellucci & Associates Inc. of Lincoln, RI for the Massachusetts Maritime Academy in Bourne, MA.
• Commercial Interior of Merit to Rugo Stone, LLC, Lorton, VA for the Center for Strategic & International Studies (CSIS) Headquarters in Washington, D.C.
• Commercial Interior Award of Merit to Appomattox Tile Art Co, Petersburg, VA for the Petersburg Public Library Medallion in Petersburg, VA.
• Commercial Interior Award of Merit to Amalfi Stone & Masonry, Inc., Sun Valley, CA for Celine in Beverly Hills, CA.
• Commercial Exterior Award of Merit to Carnevale & Lohr, Inc., Bell Gardens, CA for the Film Archive and Preservation Center in Santa Clarita, CA.
• Commercial Exterior Award of Merit to Creative Edge Master Shop, Inc., Fairfield, IA for Spotlight on Broadway Map, Times Square in New York, NY.
• Residential Interior/Exterior Award of Merit to Stones and Roses International Co. Ltd., Samutprakarn, Thailand for the Residence Bangsen in Chonburi, Thailand.
• Residential Interior/Exterior Award of Merit to Picasso Tile & Stonework, Tempe, AZ for Hadstan in Paradise Valley, AZ.
• Renovation/Restoration Award of Merit to Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc., Houston, TX for Capital One Plaza in Houston, Texas.
• Commercial Interior Special Pinnacle Award of Merit for Architectural Element to KEPCO+, Salt Lake City, UT for the Nu Skin Innovation Center in Provo, UT.
Judges for the 2014 Pinnacle Awards competition were:
• Daniel Lobitz, Partner, Robert A.M. Stern Architects, LLP in New York, NY.
• Hana Kassem, AIA, LEED, AP, Director, Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates PC in New York, NY.
• Christian Pongratz, Pongratz Perbellini Architects in Verona, Italy.
• Jonathan Zanger, Immediate MIA Past President, Walker Zanger in Amboy, NJ.
• Chuck Muehlbauer, MIA Technical Director in Oberlin, OH.